My Blog List

Thursday, January 20, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

One of the habits that I will forever be trying to cultivate is the practice of gratitude.  Simply being thankful.  It's amazing what a difference such an attitude can make, not only on your mood, but on your entire life, and also on the lives of those around you.  Think about it.  Ever notice how quickly one complainer can spread their negativity?  If it's so easy to "bring down the room" with a bad attitude, it stands to reason that it works in reverse as well.  Take babies and young children, for example.  I have rarely met anyone who could stay in presence of a joyful child for very long without smiling.  Perhaps that is part of the reason why Jesus told us to have a "childlike" faith.  Simply being content to be alive in this present moment is truly a gift.

Over the past few years, one of the gifts of encouragement that I have treasured is following writer Ann Voskamp's blog, http://www.aholyexperience.com/   I appreciate her attitude of always looking for grace in her family and in her day.  I was thrilled to receive in the mail today my copy of her book, One Thousand Gifts:  A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, and I cannot wait to begin reading!  I'm sure you'll be hearing much more from me as I consider her words, so stay tuned . . . .

Pastor Chuck Swindoll said, " . . . I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me, or say about me, my circumstances, or my position. The attitude I choose keeps me going or cripples my progress."

Join me in finding the grace, the gifts, the love, and the simple joys in the everyday, won't you?

Sue

No comments: